The Tongue Depressor (MC5) is a safe replacement for the wooden tongue depressor, the long handle and wide profile allows a good contact surface for depression on the patient’s tongue.
Patient groups who will benefit from the MC-5 are those in intensive care / critical care, stroke and other neurological patients, head and neck oncology patients, elderly mentally ill patients and those dependent on mouth care. The MC-5 is used for visual examination of the mouth and can be used as a bite block with ease of cleaning and without the risk of splinters. To ensure good mouth care is achieved include MC-5 in all oral health care plans.
Pack consists of 25 individual tongue depressors plus 3 rubber drying stands.
Tongue depressor can be used:
- To depress the patients tongue in the event of an oral examination.
- As a bite block.
Instructions for use:
- Place onto the surface of the patient’s tongue and push down to examine the inside of the mouth and back of the throat.
- For use as a bite block turn 90 degrees to support the mouth in an open position.
After use, clean and rinse the Tongue Depressor under running cold water and allow to air dry. Single patient use – discard after 12hrs. For critical and intensive care units follow procedure for rinsing with sterile water or discarding after single operation.
Do not use if the package is open or handle appears damaged or if the product has been open for 24 hours or more.
- Seek advice from a senior member of staff if the tongue is severely ulcerated
- Discard the tongue depressor after each use if the patient has Candida infection (thrush) in the mouth
There are no special storage requirements for the unopened packs
Good oral hygiene is essential for improving and maintaining general health and wellbeing. People who are medically or cognitively compromised may require mouth care several times throughout the day to limit the risk factors associated with ventilator associated pneumonia and other systemic diseases.
Proudly designed, manufactured, and distributed in the United Kingdom.